Gender Based Violence Support
There are many formal and informal ways to seek help and get support if you or someone you know has experienced violence. This can include family and friends, professionals such as counsellors, support workers, and your doctor, and helplines or online chats. Below is a list of Queensland support services for Gender Based Violence, as well as some national directories. Refer to the websites to check eligiblity and catchment areas.
If you are in danger, call 000
Queensland wide support services
- 1800 Respect offer state-wide counselling and support for people impacted by domestic, family, or sexual violence
- DVConnect offer crisis response if you live in Queensland and need to find safety
- Women’s Legal Service offers legal support for women in Queensland on issues relating to both domestic violence and family law.
Brisbane based support services
- Women’s Health and Equality Queensland offer non-crisis counselling, therapeutic groups, a trauma-informed GP service and recovery support
- Brisbane Domestic Violence Service offer support for people who are experiencing domestic violence
- Northside Connect provide support services including information and referrals, counselling, legal support, and therapeutic groups.
- Brisbane Rape & Incest Survivors provides support to women survivors of sexual violence. Services include phone support, individual counselling, advocacy, community education and training.
- Beyond DV offers counselling, groups and programs for long term violence recovery
Wider Brisbane and Darling Downs support services
- Domestic Violence Action Centre (Ipswich & Toowoomba) provides telephone information, court support, groups, safety, support for young people, training, men’s behvaiour change programs and limited emerency relief
- Centre for Women (Logan, Redlands, Beenleigh) provides crisis support, court support, counselling for women and young people
- Centre Against Domestic Abuse (Caboolture) offers support including risk assessment, court and protection orders support, home safety upgrades, and information and referral
- Laurel Place (Sunshine Coast, Gympie, Murgon and Moreton Bay) provides sexual assault counselling and advice
Central Queensland support services (including Wide Bay and Mackay)
- Laurel Place (Sunshine Coast, Gympie, Murgon and Moreton Bay): sexual assault counselling and advice
- Gympie and District Women’s Health Centre offer counselling, referrals and support, and women’s health clinics
- Wide Bay Women’s Health Centre (Hervey Bay and Maryborough) offercounselling, support, information, referrals and group programs
- EDON Place (Bundaberg and North Burnett Regions): short term crisis accommodation, assistance and support to women and children escaping domestic and family violence
- Gladstone Women’s Health (Gladstone and Bioela Regiona) offer domestic violence, sexual assault and general wellbeing counselling and support for women, plus a range of workshops and wellbeing programs
- Women’s Health, Information and Referral Service Central Queensland (Rockhampton, outreach available): generalist counselling and sexual assault counselling and support
- Domestic Violence Resource Service (Mackay & Region) offer counselling for women and children, court support, referrals and emergency assistance
North and Far North Queensland
- North Queensland Combined Women’s Services (Townsville) offer counselling and support for women, homelessness support and sexual assault support
- Neimi National Townsville provide mental health, homelessness and suicide prevention support and work to strengthen local communities
- North Queensland Domestic Violence Resource Service (Townsville and Mount Isa) offer crisis intervention face to face assistance and group programs for victims and perpetrators of domestic and family violence
- Cairns Regional Domestic Violence Service (Cairns and Tablelands Regions) offer crisis support, counselling, court support and community training
- Women’s Centre Far North Queensland (Cairns and Atherton) offer crisis support, and a range of support services to assist women, and their children, to transition them away from homelessness and violence and the child safety system.
Services for men
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander services
- Strong Women Talking provide support to women, children, and families impacted by violence
- Murri Sisters provide mobility and outreach support services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, their children and young people who are experiencing domestic and family violence.
- Marabisda Inc provides support and advocate for vulnerable Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Australian South Sea Islander families and children
- Mura Kosker provides free and confidential services, helping local (Torres Strait Island) families that need support
- Northern Peninsula Area Family and Community Services provide domestic violence support and services for NPA families